Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Twenty-Three Years Ago Today...


I was waddling around the third floor of the Polyclinic Medical Center in Harrisburg, Pa, waiting for our firstborn child. I had no idea whether it would be a boy or a girl, but I knew for certain that the Lord, in His kindness, blessed my husband and I with someone special.
Many times, even now, my mind goes back to the first time I found out I was pregnant with my firstborn. I was working at a bank at the time, and it was Friday. Since the bank was open until 8:00pm on Fridays, I had an hour for dinner as well as my half-hour lunch break. Usually I brown-bagged it twice on Fridays, but for this special day, I decided to go to Godfather’s Pizza and get a personal pizza.
While waiting for my food at the restaurant, I stared at the mosaic in the table. I absentmindedly traced the grout between the tiles, thinking how very blessed I was. To think, I mused, God has actually blessed ME with a baby! Oh Lord, I prayed, please help me to be the mother You would have me be.
Just a few minutes before midnight on March 31, 1986, our lovely little girl, Kathryn Elizabeth, was born. I was thankful for her then, and I am thankful for her now.
Now she is a grown young lady with two children of her own, serving the Lord alongside her preacher husband in a church in Michigan. She has been one of the greatest blessings of my life, and I thank the Lord for her!
Love you, Kath!

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Awww…how sweet!